Hot stone massage therapy melts away tension, eases muscle stiffness and increases circulation and metabolism. Each hot stone massage therapy session promotes deeper muscle relaxation through the placement of smooth, heated stones at key points on the body. Your professional massage therapist will incorporate a customized massage, with the use of hot stones which offers enhanced benefits.
The premise behind hot stone massage therapy is that the direct heat of the stones relaxes muscles, allowing the therapist access to their deeper muscle layers. Combining hot stones with a full body massage provides a very healing and effective experience. The hot stones also expand blood vessels, which encourages blood flow throughout the body. The hot stones have a sedative effect that can relieve chronic pain, reduce stress and promote deep relaxation.
Benefits of Hot Stone Massage Therapy:
- Provides relief from pain
- Decreases pain and muscle spasms
- Reduces chronic stress and tension
- Increases flexibility in joints, aiding in easier mobility and movement
- Relieves pain and tension created by strained and contracted muscles
- Allows for better sleep – perfect for people suffering with insomnia
- Improves blood circulation and flow of energy.
- Releases toxins from your body
- Allows you to enjoy deep relaxation
Hot Stone Tips!
Having a hot stone massage is a treat, so indulge as much as you can. Arrive on time so you have enough time to relax and absorb the surroundings. Its not a good idea to eat a heavy meal or drink alcohol in the hours beforehand.
Your therapist will also need to conduct a client consultation with you before the treatment starts. Always tell your treatments about any medical conditions you have or have had as they will need to take this into account to choose the right stones and techniques for your body. For similar reasons, always tell your therapist if you are, or think you might be, pregnant.
Don’t be afraid to tell your therapist if the stones are too warm for you, you’ll relax and enjoy your treatment far more if you feel comfortable. Also, try to book your treatment on a day where you wont have to rush out somewhere afterwards. You’ll feel so relaxed afterwards that jumping straight into a car and battling traffic won’t be what you’ll want!
Hot Stone Massage is not suitable for everyone. Please review the list of contraindications below. If any of these conditions apply to you then you need to speak to your therapist before booking. In some, but not all cases, it may be advised that you get your doctors permission for your therapist before going ahead with a treatment.
- Blood Clots/ Prone to Blood Clots
- Bruise Easily
- Cancer, chemotherapy or radiation treatments
- Broken Bones
- Depressed Immune System (HIV/AIDS, Lupus, Cancer, Epstein Barr, Mononucleosis etc.)
- Heart Problems
- Heat Sensitivity
- High Blood Pressure
- Inflamed Skin Conditions
- Nerve Trauma
- Open Wounds or Sores
- Peripheral vascular Disorder
- Recent Surgery
- Medications that side effects to heat or photosensitivity (Please check with your pharmacist if you aren’t certain)
- Varicose Veins
- Sun Burn
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Recent Surgery
- After Trauma, (whiplash, sprains etc.)
- Skin Conditions (Severe Eczema, Psoriasis, sores, shingles, herpes, burns)
- Cardio-vascular conditions
- Bells Palsy